Edit: My updated 17.4 strategy guide:
Edit: How I did in 16.4?
228 reps done
Wall Balls Shots 12-6-10-5-12-10
Row 1300-1350 kcal/hr, total time of ~7:30 after row
HSPUs sets of 11 (but it looked more like 5 – rest on the head – 4 – rest on the head – 4) – they took me 4 minutes
30 secs left for Deadlifts in 2nd round but my body was dead so only 8 reps
How I did in 16.3?
-16.3 was great for me. I hit the score of 106 reps which is 8 rounds + 2 snatches by doing 5+5 on all snatches.
Every week is my score better and better but I think 16.4 will stop me. Last week I was 670th from 27 000 competitors in the Europe and this week I have moved myself up by another 100 places.
I am looking forward for 16.4 and I hope I can hit the top 1000th in last two workouts.
16.4 is …
Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 13 minutes of:
55 wall-ball shots
55 handstand push-ups
Men deadlift 225 lb. and throw 20-lb. ball to 10-ft. target
Women deadlift 155 lb. and throw 14-lb. ball to 9-ft. target
Visit games.crossfit.com for more information.
My 16.4 strategy
I think good score that could get people into top 5% would be 1 finished + as many reps in possible in 2nd round.
The workout is slightly longer and 55 reps is many. You wont be able to do any movement unbroken (except rower) so correct strategy in 16.4 is very important.
- Use plates that bounce a lot
- Don’t do 10 or more reps in a set to save your back and energy for other movement
- Sprinting on first deadlifts is not worth and if you will do for example 30, 15 and 10 then your body will suffer on all other movements
- I am thinking about 10 quick touch and go sets of 6,6,6,6,6,5,5,5,5,5
- Belt could help
- 55 isn’t much for wall-ball shots and you can get over them pretty quickly
- If you are tall or you love wall-ball shots then go for something crazy like 30 and 25
- I hate huge sets on wall-ball shots so I will personally go for something like 12-6-10-5-12-10 with quick rests in between (by the way if you are not fan of small sets – Karen can be done in under 6 minutes with 30 sets of 5 wall-ball shots)
- Don’t hold hands up, pull them back to your face (scroll down on this page to see Rich Froning in the action)
- You can go little faster than usual because you hearth rate will drop on HSPUs
- Set pace that hurts slightly and hold it until end
- I know my pacing on the rower and I would personally go for about 1350-1500 cal/hour
- For the most of people this movement will take the most time
- Go for smaller sets so you don’t burn out your shoulders quickly, again 10 sets of 6s and 5s
- Kip all the reps! There is no reason for strict HSPUs
- I would personally go for little higher sets, probably sets of 9 or 10 but I really love HSPUs, I am not sure how my body will feel after that 3 movements
- Be smart if you have still ~3 minutes but there is no need to save the back for the later movements
- With under 2 minutes left you can go nuts! Do as many reps as possible, every rep in this round would count
Check out how I cook to improve my CrossFit performance!