Braised Beef With Red Peppers And Tomato Paste | Braised Beef Flank Steak
Mung bean + pea vermicelli noodles from video: http://ift.tt/1T1TSiV
Usually my recipes are quick but today I will show you my favorite recipe where I cook beef slowly, it is worth trying because beef will release much different and deeper flavors.
I have decided to show you fastest method of how you can braise beef and it is making it in the pan or in the pot but you can easily substitute it for other braising methods like cooking it in the oven o in the slow cooker.
Cooking times for braised beef:
– Braising in the pan/pot = about 45 minutes for small chunks or up to 2 hours for big chunks of beef
– Braising in the oven = bake at 325°F/160°C for about 1 hour 30 minutes for small chunks or up to 4 hours for big chunks of beef
– Slow cooker = 4-8 hours on low depends on size of meat
Sauce in this recipe is made from tomato paste and red bell peppers combined together with sweet paprika and cayenne pepper which adds little bit of heat to the meal.
There is one trick for thickening the sauce without using flour and it is to just reduce the juices for 15 minutes which will greatly intensify the flavors and make the sauce much more thick.
As for the meat choice I have used flank steak which is one more delicate cuts but if you will use some tougher cuts like chuck, shoulder, short rib, shank and other increase cooking time to up to 2 hours.
Don’ stress much about cooking times just make sure you are tasting the meat so you will know how well it is cooked, it will be tough from beginning but with increasing cooking time it will be more and more tender.
How to cook braised beef with red pepper and tomatoes?
- 1.5lbs/700g of flank steak
- 2 red bell peppers
- 3 tea spoons of tomato paste
- Olive oil
- Sweet paprika
- Cayenne pepper
- Cut beef into small chunks
- Roughly dice red bell peppers
- Heat up 1 table spoon of olive oil
- Fry beef on high for about 3-5 minutes
- Add salt, pepper, cayenne and sweet paprika
- Keep stirring until meat is seared from all sides
- Move seared beef into the bowl
- Reduce heat to medium-high and add diced peppers into pan
- Add 3 tea spoons of tomato paste
- Mix tomato paste in
- Add splash of water
- Mix water together with tomato paste and cook it for 1 min
- Put beef back into the pan
- Add more water (almost fully cover the meat)
- Bring to boil and cook on low for 30 minutes with lid on
- Remove lid and cook on medium for ~15 minutes until almost all juices are reduced
- Serve it over low carb pasta or cauliflower rice and enjoy 🙂