How I did in 16.4?
Another week and another improvement I have moved up on the leaderboard from 569th to 451st out of ~27 000 competitors in the Europe. I was able to finish 1 round and do 8 more deadlifts.
I hope I would be able to finish at around 400-600th place overall. Finishing 16.5 in top 1000 should keep me there.
16.5 is …
21-18-15-12-9-6-3 reps for time of:
Men use 95 lb.
Women use 65 lb.
My 16.5 strategy
I still remember doing this workout in 2014 where my time was around 13 minutes and I was crazy enough to redo it 3 months ago with a time of 9:50 but I am not very sure if I will be able to hit such good time again. I think everything under 11:00 would be very great result.
- When I was doing 16.5/14.5 for the first time I was doing all thrusters unbroken which is not good idea
- I was able to hit time under 10 minutes when I was doing small but quick sets of thrusters
- Why small sets?
- You won’t peak hearth rate so much
- It will save your shoulders – 15s and 12s of thrusters are not so easy if you have fatigued shoulders after so many burpees and thrusters
- Losing only about 30 secs on all sets of thrusters will allow you to go more quickly on burpees
- You can start with burpees right after last quick set of thrusters
- Recommended small sets (If I remember right, I was going for 12+9, 7+6+5, 6+5+4, 7+5, 9, 6, 3)
- 21 = 12+9 or 8+7+6
- 18 = 10+8 or 7+6+5
- 15 = 9+6 or 6+5+4
- 12 = 7+5
- 9 = 9 or 5+4
- 6 = 6
- 3 = 3
- If you decide to go for small quick sets than remember you just let bar drop and you pick it up immidiately
- Repeat movement, I think nobody has excepted it
- This workout is about how quickly you can do burpees
- There is no reason to rest before or after thrusters, make quick transitions
- It’s better to start burpees immediately but slowly than resting for 15 secs before doing first one
- You will get good time only if you can suffer a lot on burpees
16.5 workout tips
- As I said earlier be smart on thrusters and hold pace on burpees
- 16.5 is for time so fight for every second
- Pedal to the metal when you finish round of 9 thrusters
- Good luck!
Check out how I cook to improve my CrossFit performance!